pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Command line use; download of nzb files does not stop

From: Steven D'Aprano
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Command line use; download of nzb files does not stop
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 13:13:20 +1100

Rhialto wrote:
On Fri 04 Nov 2011 at 13:57:51 -0600, Zan Lynx wrote:
"Real Men" read a hex-dump of /dev/kmem and just know where the process
table is placed in memory. :-)

welllll... once upon a time, I used the hex memory editor in the
firmware / boot PROM of Sun 3 workstations at the university to change
the user id number of my shell. To that of the system administrator, of
course. He didn't like that, when I told him, but there was little he
could do to prevent it, either.

Simpler times.

These days, he could have you arrested for misuse or theft of computer resources, computer trespass, or similar. If you're a student, you could be expelled from the comp sci course, or from the university completely.

In my day job, I helped a local college deal with a student hacker who hacked the college's server (and by hacked, I mean "retrieved the sys admin's password from a config file on a Windows desktop"), gained root on the server, and installed a proxy that by-passed the college's billing software so he wasn't charged for downloads. And then shared that information with half of the school. The school agreed not to press charges if the student agreed to just leave quietly.

--
Steven