pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Someone hasn't upgraded in a while... (was Re: Ubuntu 11

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Someone hasn't upgraded in a while... (was Re: Ubuntu 11.10 version ...)
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 12:47:25 +0000 (UTC)

Ron Johnson posted on Sat, 22 Oct 2011 02:16:06 -0500 as excerpted:

> Anyway, my original comment was simply, "That's *ancient*."  Nothing
> more, nothing less.  smtp, pop3 and mbox haven't changed in a *long*
> time, so there's no *need* to upgrade as long as your boot disk keeps
> functioning.

But unlike say pan, AFAIK thunderbird renders HTML mail, and there have
been quite some HTML vulns discovered and fixed since 2007.  For
something like pan, keeping up might not matter, but for an HTML
rendering mail and news client, the difference could very well be that
between getting pawned, and never even knowing the attack happened unless
you checked the sources, since it didn't affect you at all.

FWIW, my (new) mail client is claws-mail, which I run in kill-the-html
mode so even HTML only mail appears as plain text, tags removed.  (Until
a few weeks ago I had run kmail for nearing a decade, since the kde2
era.  But "akonadi, delenda est!"  At least it had to be, and like
Carthage, ultimately was, on my machine! =:^)

Maybe thunderbird has such a mode too?  In that case, I guess it might
not be so bad.