pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Articles Pan Can't Read

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Articles Pan Can't Read
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 03:41:10 +0000 (UTC)

Mark S Bilk posted on Wed, 10 Aug 2011 05:14:38 -0700 as excerpted:

> (But KNode has no trouble using Astraweb.  Is there more than one
> protocol for requesting an article from a server?  Will I have to dig
> out Ethereal and spend a week decoding hex in network packets?  Aggh!)

Yes.

Messages can be requested by Message-ID or by per-server/per-group
message sequence number.  The former is a bit more work to implement in
the client, but is global -- message-ids are the same no matter which
server you get them from.  This is the way nzb files work, etc.

The latter is as mentioned per-server/per-group, with the server
assigning increasing article numbers per group.  This is easiest to track
in terms of read messages, etc, but because each server and each group on
the server has its own numbering, if a client tracks a message by message
sequence number, switching servers means losing track of read-message
info, etc.  If the read-message tracking isn't reset at the same time and
the new server has lower numbers, everything will appear already read to
the client, until its read message tracking for that server is reset.  If
the new server has higher numbers, everything appears unread, as the
client just sees a big gap in article sequence numbers.

Pan actually makes use of both.  Read-message-tracking is done via per-
server newsrc standard format file, which uses article sequence numbers.
However, since pan uses an nzb file for tracking its own task queue as
well, I believe it actually fetches posts via message-id (tho it may fall-
back to message-sequence-number in some instances, I don't know).  It
also stores them in cache via message-ID, which helps it manage multiple
servers downloading at the same time, since if the article is already
being downloaded in another thread (from the same server or a different
one), a file by that message-id will already exist in cache so the other
threads simply skip it.