pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Minor posting issue

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Minor posting issue
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 20:23:30 +0000 (UTC)

Heinrich Mueller posted on Mon, 25 Jul 2011 21:15:07 +0200 as excerpted:

> On 07/25/11 21:06, Joe Zeff wrote:
>> I use Pan in Linux, under XFCE.  Sometimes, when I post a message, it
>> takes a little while to get out, so I click on Pan's main window to
>> bring it to the front and go on to the next message in the group. Alas,
>> as soon as my message starts to go out, Pan brings that window to the
>> front, often just as I'm about to click on the Next Message button.  Is
>> there any reason Pan needs to do this, or is it just a minor
>> mis-feature that nobody's complained about yet?

> There's no reason pan needs to do this besides to inform the user if the
> upload has succeeded/failed. And seeing that I already log the errrors,
> I think i might delete that dialog in my fork. Thanks for the headsup!

FWIW... pan does NOT do that... if you're using a sufficiently smart
window manager with decent focus stealing prevention.  I've never had
that problem hear on kde, using kwin, for instance, even when the network
or server is unavailable temporarily so the message doesn't deliver and
close immediately, because kwin has focus-stealing-prevention that does
just that, prevents the posting window from rudely stealing the focus
when I'm working back in the main window again.

There's a very few instances where there's security implications or the
like, and you /want/ the popup to occur, and kde/kwin has appropriate
methods to configure exceptions for specific windows, but this isn't such
a case, and my default kwin focus-stealing-prevention policy (medium)
manages just fine. =:^)

But making pan a bit better behaved in the absence of such advanced
window managers is a good thing, too. =:^)