pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] GNKSA

From: Kurt Schilling
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] GNKSA
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 11:48:37 -0400

Duncan wrote:
Kurt Schilling posted on Sun, 10 Jul 2011 04:46:02 -0400 as excerpted:

Yes, NSR is still alive. The newsgroup tends to be relatively active on
a day to day basis. However, the regulars tend to be pretty much
"anti-PAN" since the re-write to C++ primarily because of the lack of
granular scoring.

??

Granularity indicates grains, division into discreet quantities, as opposed to unitary or continuously divisible. (A more modern description might be digital, as opposed to analog.)

I don't really see how that can be accurately said of pan's scoring, since it indeed has effective scoring granularity in units of one from -9999 to +9999. Pan certainly has scoring related deficiencies, deficiencies, including as has been discussed here many times, the ability to do anything practical with scores (automatic delete/mark-read/ download based on score, presumably ignore/negative/watch, respectively, by default), and the ability to score at all based on the body or whole message (scoring based on non-overview headers was added by khaley fairly recently, but there's no GUI for it; it's only possible vie direct scorefile editing), but those deficiencies wouldn't appear to relate to scoring granularity in any way that I can figure. There's /way/ more flexibility in that regard than people are ever likely to use, in practice.

In this case the argument as been the change from the scoring format and rules used in the earlier version of PAN versus what we have today in the C++ versions. As many people who are used to being able to do as you remark, the lack is seen as a serious flaw by those who are frequent contributors to NSR. In fact there have been many instances where a respondent advocated not using the C++ re-write version at all, but to use the older version only.

Warm regards,

Kurt Schilling