pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] VDQ Re: Policy discussion: GNKSA

From: Steven D'Aprano
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] VDQ Re: Policy discussion: GNKSA
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 19:34:35 +1000

Rhialto wrote:
On Sat 09 Jul 2011 at 10:33:22 +1000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
Microsoft now is not the same
as Microsoft of 1998, or even of 2005. Thanks in part to the
European Union (who did what the US Justice Department refused to do
and actually put MS over their knee and gave them a sound spanking)
and in part due to commercial realities (Microsoft's customers said
"Ballmer, we're using Linux and we want Windows to interoperate with
it, get over it"), MS has developed an uneasy and reluctant but
nevertheless genuine attitude that they have to Play Nice With
Others.

Ha ha. They show that so nicely by threatening Android phone makers
with patents, and demanding money for every Android phone sold. Yes, the
Android which is not from MICROS~1 and which contains not a line of
MICROS~1 code.

That's not how patents work. There's no requirement for actual lines of code written by Microsoft to appear in the product to be a patent infringement.

Please don't use childish terms like "MICROS~1" here, we're supposed to be adults, and Windows systems haven't defaulted to 8.3 filenames for many, many years. That's as silly as claiming that Apple Mac only has black and white screens, or that Linux makes you do everything from the command line.

If Google or other Android phone manufacturers are paying licence fees to Microsoft, then presumably they must be using Microsoft's patents. That's just business as usual... all major companies, and most minor ones, either cross-licence patents or pay licence fees.

Today, it is said that MS earns more money from Android phones than from
its own Windows phones.

So what?

Consequently, we now have entire departments of MS that publicly
contribute to Open Source projects, the whole "Linux is a cancer"
thing has been toned down, and there's hardly even any more talk
about patent threats.

Nonsense. See above references. Patent threats are on the rise.
"The official announcement also contains a none-too-subtle message for
the other Android device makers that Microsoft is negotiating with
and/or taking to court over the issue." from the geekwire link.

Yes, and? That's not a patent attack on *Linux*, but on Google, which is a major competitor of Microsoft's. As I said, business as usual. Sorry if I didn't make it clear -- Microsoft seems to pretty much has accepted that Linux is hear to stay, and that they have to accept it's existence rather than making blow-hard threats against it. That doesn't mean they aren't willing to attack business competitors who may happen to be using Linux -- I never suggested that MS have turned into a bunch of pussies.

Google and Microsoft will end up cross-licencing each other, if they haven't already, and things will continue as normal.

--
Steven