pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] PAR File Support ??

From: Lacrocivious Acrophosist
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] PAR File Support ??
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 22:34:16 +0000 (UTC)

Michael, W1RC <address@hidden> writes:

> I am a new PAN user but not unfamiliar with Usenet and
> downloading binaries.  I think Pan is an outstanding app and am
> looking forward to totally migrating from my present news reader in the
> near future.
> I would very much appreciate knowing if Pan has native support for PAR
> files or does an add-on need to be installed.  If this is the case
> what are the addons required for both Windows and Linux
> versions?
> Thanks for all your efforts.
> Regards,
> Michael

Two GUI tools not yet mentioned are GPar2 (
http://sourceforge.net/projects/parchive/files/ ) and, especially for those
accustomed to the QuickPAR interface, Easy Par2 for KDE (
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ekpar2/ ). Both work well on most systems. I
have come to prefer, by far, the more informative ekpar2.

Depending upon your specific distro and configuration, pypar2 may run only once
thereafter segfault; this happens on five systems here in the shop.

I am unconvinced that par2 handling should ever be part of Pan internally. Make
a tool, make it do a thing and do it well. Make the Swiss Army Knife the
exception, not the rule ;-)