pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Why does this sig appear twice?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Why does this sig appear twice?
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 04:24:05 +0000 (UTC)

Joe Zeff posted on Sat, 09 Apr 2011 11:08:32 -0700 as excerpted:

> On 04/09/2011 09:55 AM, Graham P Davis wrote:
>> Just for starters, here's the same file but posting via knode. More to
>> follow.  ;-)
>>
>> --
> Graham Davis, Bracknell, Berks. E-mail: change boy to man
>  > To consider the Earth the only populated world in infinite space
>> is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field sown with millet only
>> one grain will grow. - Metrodoros, 300BC
>
> Notice the line wrap.  (This is how I see it on Thunderbird, because I
> have line wrap set, properly, at 72 characters.)  Several years ago,
> when I first started with Pan I found a sigmonster program, built a list
> of quotes (based on my old, Windows-based Usenet program) and started
> using it.  I too had a problem with doubled sigs, but not always.  We
> finally found that if Pan has to wrap your sig to make it fit, it
> doubles it.  Once we'd found that, I edited the file to make sure all of
> the quotes were "72 character compliant" and never worried about it
> again.  Try doing the same and see if it fixes the issue.

Intuition tells me you nailed it!

I've been around pan long enough to know the types of bugs/quirks it tends
to have, and doubling the sig on line-wrap fits the description to a
"tee"!  Classic pan-style bug!

FWIW, 0.134 includes a number of patches to the general body wrapping
code.  Perhaps some attention needs to be paid to the sig-wrapping,
as well.

If that proves to be it and khaley hasn't popped up saying it's fixed in
git within a few days, please file a bug!  It's quite possible all that
needs to happen is that a fix already applied to the body-wrap code needs
applied to the sig handling code as well, and even if not, sig-
duplication, now that it's known to be a problem, should be a reasonably
easy thing to spot and fix in the code... I think.  So this one shouldn't
be /too/ hard to fix (speaking as a non-coder but with some bug filing and
fix-testing experience).