pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: One group suddenly ignored

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: One group suddenly ignored
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 14:59:22 -0700

On 04/08/2011 07:33 AM, Glen Walpert wrote:
I have been using Pan 0.132 on Ubuntu 8.04 for a year with no
problems until a few days ago when all posts to
sci.electronics.design started being ignored ("get headers in
subscribed groups" lists over 100 messages but they all disappear
when the group is selected, no headers for the last 3 days even when
no filters are selected so they are not just marked as read.)

All of my other subscribed groups have no problems. If it is an issue
with my news server (news.astraweb.com) it does not affect an old
copy of Agent on XP, which still reads new messages on
sci.electronics.design. I tried temporarily removing .pan2/Score with
no effect (not a bad scoring rule)

I was all set to render my infallible opinion until I read below:

and reproduced the problem on a
clean install of Pan 0.133 under Ubuntu 9.04 with no scoring rules.

Hm.  Did you by any chance copy your ~/.pan2 directory from the older
machine to the newer one?

Often an odd problem with just one group is caused by corruption
of the group's data in your ~/.pan2 directory.

For example, sci.electronics.design should appear in 'groups.xov'
with some cryptic numbers.  Try deleting that one line.

$grep electronics.design .pan2/newsgroups.xov
sci.electronics.design 39815 39813 6:1024988 3:1024988 7:1024991

Pan creates a file 'newsrc-n' for each newsserver that it knows
about:

$grep electronics.design .pan2/newsrc-*
.pan2/newsrc-3:sci.electronics.design!
.pan2/newsrc-4:sci.electronics.design!
.pan2/newsrc-5:sci.electronics.design!
.pan2/newsrc-6:sci.electronics.design! 1022878-1022879
.pan2/newsrc-7:sci.electronics.design!

You can see that only one of my newsservers carries that group, and
that I enjoyed reading the two articles numbered 1022878 and 1022879
on that particular server:

   HP Rant & Open mic for suggestions on how to kill an PSC2210 all-in-one
printer
        1301492448
        6:a:1022878   <------- original post

   Re: HP Rant & Open mic for suggestions on how to kill an PSC2210 all-in-one
printer
        <address@hidden>
        1301493279
        6:a:1022879   <------- first of many sympathetic followup posts :)

I found the two snippets above in ~/.pan2/groups/sci.electronics.design

I can't explain the details of all those numbers, but I know they can get out of
sync for various reasons like power failures and other inevitable annoyances.

If you delete your ~/.pan2/groups/sci.electronics.design, you will need to fetch
all of those article headers from scratch -- but it might fix your problem.

Perhaps Duncan will have already replied in the time it took me to write this.
He will have wisdom to share with both of us :)