pan-users

RE: [Pan-users] Re: Pan on windows?

From: Sapient Fridge
Subject: RE: [Pan-users] Re: Pan on windows?
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 12:52:04 +0100

> [mailto:address@hidden On
> Behalf Of Duncan
> Sapient Fridge posted on Fri, 08 Apr 2011 08:46:14 +0100 as excerpted:
>
> > 2) Is there any way of automatically downloading all the message
> > bodies rather than just the headers?  My ISP's news service is a bit
> > intermittent and my old newsreader (Turnpike) would download and cache
> > everything (including the bodies) it could as soon as available so I
> > rarely had to wait for anything  to arrive.  I realise I can select
> > everything and hit "Cache Article" but is there any way of
> > *automatically* downloading and caching new message bodies as soon as
> > I open Pan?
>
> There's no way of automatically downloading all bodies, unfortunately

OK, thanks for that.  I was wondering if it was a feature I'd missed or whether
it just wasn't there.

<snip>

> Of course I and others are hoping for the former and there's certainly
> features that could be added that would further improve pan, but in the
> FLOSS world it's the coders that decide where an app goes, and for those of
> us that aren't coders...

Ah, I see.  Never mind, Pan is perfectly usable as it is.   I'm just pining a
bit for some of Turnpike's features :-)

As you say, I think Usenet isn't as popular as it was.  A shame really because
it's a good way of handling vast numbers of simultaneous discussions.

> As for caching, be aware that for binary use at least, if you're going to be
> making much use of download to cache, you'll need to increase pan's default
> 10 MB cache size.  The GUI setting for this was removed as too complex and
> unnecessary for users that direct download anyway, but it remains an option
> exposed in the text file configuration itself.  So editing preferences.xml
> using
> a text editor is necessary to change the cache size.

Thanks, that worked fine.

<snip>

> > 3) How do I see the raw source text of an article?   I sometimes send in
> > spam complaints but to do that you have to send in the full headers
> > and I can't work out how to get them from Pan.
>
> There's three ways.  If you're just wanting a quick look at the headers, use
> the show-all-headers toggle under view, body pane.  Here I have it mapped
> to the "h" key as the keyboard accel.  That used to be the default and I think
> it still is, but I'm not sure as I long ago customized my accels using the
> accels.txt facility.  But with that set, a quick "h"
> toggles view headers on and off, as necessary.

Yep, that worked as well.  It turned out to be still bound to 'h' by default.
Thanks.

Cheers,
Sapient Fridge