pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Bug in Headers pane?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Bug in Headers pane?
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 11:57:10 +0000 (UTC)

Ron Johnson posted on Mon, 04 Apr 2011 21:19:55 -0500 as excerpted:

> As a user, I prefer consistent UI speed instead of
> fast-freeze-fast-freeze...

Given I use the cache-first method, I forgot about that and was never
really bothered by it.  But from reports, the problem is far worse for
users that download and save directly, instead of as two separate
operations, as the two operations appear to interfere with each other at
least to some extent, and fast-freeze-fast-freeze becomes a problem, with
the freezes apparently occurring during the decode-and-combine phase,
freezing other stuff while that bit is occurring.

Doing the caching first, the decode-and-combine when I actually save
something isn't as troublesome, as it comes when I've specifically setup a
save job, instead of at a more or less random time when all the segments
of a post happen to be completely downloaded so it can be saved
automatically, as happens with the download-and-save method.