pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Feature request: CLI operation

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Feature request: CLI operation
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 09:23:34 +0000 (UTC)

Ron Johnson posted on Tue, 29 Mar 2011 03:09:22 -0500 as excerpted:

> It's 32-bit.  Running "top" clearly shows pan's memory usage (RES)
> growing and growing.  At about 3GB (a processes' address space in x86)
> it barfs.

FWIW, on Linux that's a kernel option (with 2.6 kernels, anyway).  With
the 4-gig limit, the kernel/userspace split can be set to 3G/1G, 2G/2G, or
the default 1G/3G.  Additionally, there's a somewhat less efficient mode
that sets 4G/4G, thus allowing access to (almost) a full 4-gig userspace
(and a full 4G kernelspace, thus significantly reducing low memory
pressure on 32G+ physical memory systems), but at the cost of switching
memory pagetables and doing TLB flushes at every usercode/kernelcode
switch.

So it's possible to up that ~3GB to ~4GB.  (There's a few MB worth of
buffers of commonly mapped space between the two modes, so it's not
/quite/ 4GB.)

Whether it's worth the additional overhead I don't know...  If you've >16G
of physical memory, it likely is, and almost certainly is with >32G
physical memory, due to the reduction in low-memory pressure, but under
16G...