pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Customizing scoring defaults

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Customizing scoring defaults
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 16:08:31 -0700

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 00:33:18 +0000, Duncan wrote:

> Paul Johnson posted on Tue, 17 Aug 2010 12:56:01 -0700 as excerpted:
>
>> On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 21:38:53 +0000, Duncan wrote:
>>
>>> So now you need to know how to score a thread, right?  To score a
>>> thread to something other than watched or ignored, simply add a
>>> scoring rule, on the second line of the dialog, set "and the
>>> article's" REFERENCES, CONTAINS, and either take the default or set
>>> the appropriate message-id.
>>
>> OK, that's what I'm looking for.  So how do I change the scoring
>> defaults done by the "Watch Thread" and "Ignore Thread" macros so
>> they're not worthless?  Alternately, how do I remove those and replace
>> them with my own?  Having to manually add a scoring rule through the
>> long-form dialogue is time consuming and annoying to say the least.
>
> AFAIK that's be a source code change if you were to do it.  Not too bad.
> But it shouldn't be an issue.  See, ignored/watched are /supposed/ to be
> extremes.

I get that, but why set the score to a specific value, rather than
raising or lowering it?  Tin's scoring and "quick highlight/kill"
function is configurable, so I can't imagine why it hasn't caught on in
pan.  Having a thread highlighted is kind of annoying when it quashes
author scores.

> And if for some reason you don't like it that way, it's all
> relative, so just multiply your other scores by 1000 or 10,000 or
> whatever.  No big deal... (tho the score color coding is hard-coded to
> specific ranges as well, so if you want to use that with
> ignored/watched, you'd need to change the source for either the color
> code ranges or ignored/watched).

That's not so much an issue.