pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Reproducible crash retrieving headers in million-header

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Reproducible crash retrieving headers in million-header group
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 16:58:26 +0000 (UTC)

Wayne E. Nail posted on Fri, 30 Jul 2010 14:57:09 +0000 as excerpted:

> Unrelated question: How does one avoid the 'You have lines longer than
> 80 characters. Fix that.' error in gmane composition when the stupid
> thing lets you exceed that in its own compose box?

Not a direct answer, but two possible alternatives that wouldn't run into
the issue.

1) Did you know that the lynx text-mode browser handles news (among other
things) in addition to the web?  It does. =:^)  I keep both it and links
around mainly as emergency text-mode browsers, so I can google fixes for X
or kde when they won't start, mainly, but in this case, it could work for
news when pan's crashing, too. =:^)

2) Presuming you're using the gmane web interface due to pan's crashing,
that's one of a number of reasons why:

2a) I keep the fetch headers on pan start, and on entering group, OFF.

2b) I set the PAN_HOME environmental variable, and use its ability to
point pan at a non-default data-dir, to run multiple pan
"instances" (perhaps "profiles" is more accurate), in my case, text,
binaries, and test, each with its own separate config dir, subscribed
groups, etc.  A crashing binary instance won't kill my text instance, and
should the text instance die, I can use the test instance temporarily.

(The main reason I keep a test instance is that pan doesn't delete all it
knows about a group when you unsubscribe.  At minimum, it keeps the record
of the xref numbers in the newsrc file, even if unsubscribed, and I don't
want groups I visited once, three years ago, perhaps checking out a test
case mentioned here, (or for those umm... "exotic" groups, that might be
hard to explain to the significant other, or the teen that knows more
about the computer than you do and just happens across it while
troubleshooting a... pan crash) continuing to hang around with xref
numbers.  But it'd come in handy here, as well.)

So anyway, you shouldn't be limited to the gmane web interface unless you
want to be.  (Tho I was for awhile, when apparently someone else on my ISP
was spamming lists thru gmane, and gmane blocked their access to the news
interface... and mine too, but that's a rather different problem than
we're talking, here.)