pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Where does Pan 0.133 Store Posts & Emails sent by the Us

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Where does Pan 0.133 Store Posts & Emails sent by the User?
Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 06:47:45 +0000 (UTC)

Keith posted on Fri, 30 Apr 2010 17:15:15 -0700 as excerpted:

> Does Pan store sent email and usenet articles locally on the disk?

Short answer, no.

But note that pan doesn't handle mail directly, but rather, hands it off
to your standard mail client, using the mailto: protocol as handled by
your desktop.  You can set which desktop (kde, gnome, mswormos, osx, or
direct custom command) in preferences, so it knows how to communicate with
it.  Your mail client may then save it as it sends it, if that's what it
does normally.

I actually use that fact to save posts, when I want to save them, by
replying to them, deleting the newsgroups line and sticking something
(anything) in the mailto line.  That triggers it to invoke the mailer, and
I save it to a mail folder from there.

You could use the same technique to save posts you send.  Simply get in
the habit of sticking something in the mailto line, so it invokes your
mail client, and then use your mail client to save it off somewhere (in at
least mine, kmail, I don't have to actually send it to save it, so I
simply save it without sending).