pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] OT: freedomware vs... Was: Building Pan on Windows?

From: Alan Meyer
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] OT: freedomware vs... Was: Building Pan on Windows?
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 19:51:34 -0800 (PST)

I like open source software and use a lot of it.  Everything I do
on Linux is done with open source and, although I use Windows
too, a lot of what I do on Windows is also using open source, or
at least freeware programs.

I deeply appreciate the contribution that open source programmers
make, and I recognize the benefits to society of open source
software.

But having said that I have to say I'm not really opposed to
commercial software, any more than I'm opposed to commercial
hardware, commercial cars, commercial food, or commercial
television.  Hundreds of thousands of people make their livings
writing software, just as millions of others do building
computers, building cars, farming, or working on TV shows.  I
don't see anything inherently evil in that.

I don't endorse monopoly practices.  I think that's bad for
society, and I think that many of the practices of Microsoft and
Intel have anti-social monopoly characteristics.  I oppose those.
But if someone wants to buy a computer program, even including
buying it from Microsoft, why not?

--
Alan Meyer
address@hidden