pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Checking server for missing parts

From: john wendel
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Checking server for missing parts
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 20:23:51 -0800

On 01/03/2010 06:00 PM, Wayne E. Nail wrote:
On Sun, 2010-01-03 at 15:52 -0800, john wendel wrote:
On 01/03/2010 01:14 PM, Wayne E. Nail wrote:
On Sun, 2010-01-03 at 13:01 -0800, john wendel wrote:
Anyone know how to check a news server for missing message parts,
without downloading the data? Using pan? Ideally, I'd like to feed an
NZB file to something and have it tell me which parts are available and
missing.

Thanks,

John

You can search http://www.binsearch.info/ for the same .nzb contents and
in the results, click on 'collection' link to see what parts are
available. Just one example.

<snip>

I use binsearch.info, and that is part of the problem. My NSP sometimes
doesn't have all the message parts even when binsearch indicates that
the post is complete. I assume that this is because binsearch is
indexing a different server than the one I am using. Doesn't happen very
often.

I got curious about this because of the "crazy christmas lights" post.
Looks like my NSP is missing lots of parts, but the NZB I got from
binsearch looks OK. Maybe something more is going on here.

Thanks,

John

Indeed.

Repeated instances of<your NSP>  vs<nzb search engine>  returning
different results -- particularly where<your NSP>  result is a subset of
<nzb search engine>  result -- indicates need for a better NSP.

[snip]
Your question revolved around a postulated inherent capability of Pan
which does not exist (so far as I know); I answered with what I presumed
to be obvious indications of which tools might be better suited to the
task. Having a newsreader capable of parsing .nzb files != newsreader
capable of psychic divination of available parts listed vs. any given
NSP.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear in earlier posts.

I'm trying to understand the problem described in the "crazy christmas lights" post. I have an NZB file (from binsearch.info) that should fetch the data, it fails spectacularly with my news server. Pan reports many missing articles. I'm suspicious of Pan at this point because some of the error status messages appear to be asking for articles that are not in the NZB file.

There seem to be 2 possible causes of the failure, [1] Pan is doing the right thing and the articles are missing on the newsserver or [2] Pan is asking for the wrong articles. I thought it would be useful if I had a tool that could query the newsserver for each article listed in the NZB and receive a yes/no status, without trying to download 1.6 GB of data.

I don't think that psychic divination is required to validate an NZB file against a particular server. You just need to be able to parse each "section" of the NZB file, and do a "STAT <article-id>" command to the server for each section. You could even do it by hand with a simple telnet connection to the server, but it would get tedious for an NZB file with 6000 sections.

Regards,

John