pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Old Pan quits unexpectedly

From: walt
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Old Pan quits unexpectedly
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 12:51:55 -0800

On 11/27/2009 11:24 AM, Tony Sivori wrote:
Pan 14.2.91 on Kubuntu 8.04 (32-bit) with Kernel 2.6.24-23-generic.

Quite a while back, Pan started shutting down when I'd read a post. What
happens is the when I click the Subject to download the body, Pan
instantly disappears. No error, no warning, and it is kind of startling.

After Pan crashes, it will reopen with no trouble. The status log is
empty, and Pan offers to resume the task it was on when it quit.

Seems to be more frequent lately, perhaps once every few hours or so.
Anyone else using old Pan experiencing this?

I've read similar posts before, and IIRC it usually turns out that
some file in ~/.pan2 got corrupted by the very first crash, and what-
ever it is that got corrupted is causing the subsequent crashes.

The quick and dirty test is to rename your ~/.pan2 to something else,
but don't delete it.  Just let pan re-create it, and then you can try
copying over some of the config files that are a pain to replace, like
your newsgroup preferences and list of servers, etc.

If Duncan is around, he'll have more specific advice for you.