pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: downloading bodies (and external editor on Windows)

From: Frank Van Damme
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: downloading bodies (and external editor on Windows)
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 15:52:54 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 14:49:01 +0000, Duncan wrote:

> Frank Van Damme posted on Sun, 11 Oct 2009 13:56:45 +0000 as excerpted:
>
>> After a pretty long time of usenet inactivity, I once again downloaded
>> Pan and I am wondering what happened to the option to "download new
>> headers and bodies in the current group"? I can only download new
>> headers. Which is not what I want for text-only groups.
>
> Pan underwent a rewrite in the time you were away.  You must have been
> using old-pan before.  It was C based.  New-pan is C++ based, and
> doesn't have that feature yet, tho it's better in many other ways
> (automatic/ transparent multi-server handling, MUCH better at memory
> scaling for large groups with millions of headers/overviews, among other
> things).
>
> So basically, download headers, select-all, download messages (or
> download to cache).  Of course, pan's cache is only 10 MB, but that
> shouldn't be a huge problem for text-only groups, and you can set it to
> the size you want by editing preferences.xml directly.

Thank you, Duncan, for your elaborate reply :-)

I always loved old-pan, I used it since 0.7 or something.

> FWIW, you /can/ now setup pan to run "headless", that is, without a GUI,
> and collect headers and then quit.  You could schedule this with cron or
> the MS task scheduler. (Presumably they still have such a thing in
> eXPrivacy and beyond...)  See pan's command-line options (run it with
> --help in the terminal window, or at least that's how it works on
> Linux).

Will remember for when I become a usenet addict again.

> Unfortunately, that doesn't work for whole messages.  But you /may/ be
> able to setup some sort of automation to feed pan the appropriate
> keystrokes to select all and download to cache.  I used to do that with
> various other apps on MS all the time, back around the turn of the
> century.

For the time being I'll do it manually.

> Another alternative is to use a news server such as leafnode, and set it
> to download every hour or whatever.  Then the messages are already
> locally cached when you go to read them.

I used to do that, I'm not as much a news junkie as I was.

>> Another small Q: how do I use an external editor on Windows? I'd like
>> to use vim (gvim).
>
> When I switched from MS due to eXPrivacy, I pretty quickly went all
> freedom-ware (well, save for one very old game I still run in DOSBOX,
> DOSBOX is freedomware, the game running in it is not).  I couldn't even
> run MS proprietaryware if I wanted to now, since I can no longer agree
> to the EULA.

Who can? Close your eyes and press agree ;-)
XP on a home computer is a temporary situation. Jobwise it's a different
matter...

> Thus, I'm the wrong person to ask about MS specific stuff, but I'm sure
> a couple of the folks running it on MS will be around soon enough to
> answer.  Presumably it's not much different than on Linux, however.  Set
> the application options (browser, mail, external text-editor) on the
> appropriate tab of preferences, either to work with the default for your
> environment of choice (based on mimetype/extension), or choose custom
> and set it to a specific app.

Hmyes, I set it to the full path of gvim, and a short cough from the hard
disk apart, not much happens :-)

--
Frank Van Damme   A: Because it destroys the flow of the conversation
                  Q: Why is it bad?