pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan 1.33 not showing Multipart images in Ubuntu 9.10b

From: walt
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan 1.33 not showing Multipart images in Ubuntu 9.10b
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 16:16:00 -0700

On 10/03/2009 01:50 PM, Scott Pettigrew wrote:
I just replaced my 9.04 system with 9.10b, and Pan is not showing
multipart jpgs in the message screen.

Single-post jpgs seem to display just fine.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

The correct answer is very long and complicated. (Duncan will be
along shortly to fill in the details :o)

There have been a number of bugs, both with pan and with gmime,
gtk, uudecode, and possibly even others that I can't remember
right now.

In any case, for the past few months we pan users have been blessed
with several patches submitted by K. Hailey, including a bug-fix
update to the code responsible for decoding multi-part jpegs.

I don't know whether the ubuntu devs have imported those patches
to their own pan package, but I suspect they have not.

The author of pan, Charles Kerr, announced in this group that he
will be including K. Hailey's patches in his next release of pan,
so I expect the jpeg problem will be fixed (fairly) soon, as long
as the ubuntu devs keep up with the latest pan code.

If you care to file an ubuntu bug, you can point the devs to the
posts from K. Hailey in this mailing list over the past few months.

Duncan? :o)