pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: So, what's left before 1.0?

From: Steven D'Aprano
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: So, what's left before 1.0?
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 21:08:44 +1000

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 04:25:56 pm Duncan wrote:

> Grrr!!  I'm a kde guy and kde4 is only /now/, with 4.3, getting to
> the late beta stage, where I'd even /begin/ to consider it usable,
> but they've abandoned the last fully working version, 3.5, to the
> point there's serious questions on whether there will be security
> updates and the like.

Pfft. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. My experience with upgrading
desktop applications has been almost entirely bad.

I'm running KDE 3.5 on Fedora 7 for my desktop. The only upgrades I
install are for multimedia codecs when I come across a video I can't
play. My desktop is behind two firewalls, I run NoScript in my browser,
and when I have an application that works for me, I don't mess with it.

(Of course, I can only get away with this because I'm running a minority
operating system with an excellent security model, hence I'm not a
target for every f***ing spyware and malware programmer trying to make
a dishonest buck. If I were running Windows, or PHP apps on a
webserver, I'd take security upgrades more seriously.)

If I could still run Mac OS 6.2 (only with colour, Internet access and
multimedia support) you can bet I would be. Well, maybe 6.5.

--
Steven D'Aprano