pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Mismatched headers - Select a particular post, what

From: Paul J. Dudley
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Mismatched headers - Select a particular post, what appears is different post.
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 15:54:01 -0400

Duncan wrote:
Paul J. Dudley posted on Sun, 06 Sep 2009 10:52:45 -0400 as excerpted:

I have a problem whereby selecting a post according to its subject
brings up an entirely different post ( different subject etc ). What
should I do to resolve.

Not to be flippant, but upgrade, maybe? Seriously, the pan 0.14 series is half a decade out of date, now, even if it is still listed as stable. That code is long abandoned, and while you are CERTAINLY welcome to use it as long as it continues to work (that's oft quoted as an advantage of open source) and I do still have a copy installed to help people on if necessary, there's nothing being done on it any more at all, and unless you have a specific reason to stay with the old version, I'd urge you to at least try the new one. Even 0.133, the last official version out (with 0.90 starting a new series with a rewrite into C++, 0.14 was C), is over a year old now.

That said, check the list archives for the "Weird cache problem" thread back the end of August. That particular problem is NOT just 0.14, and it's interesting you are seeing it on something that old, too. That means there's something else going on. Perhaps both you and Jim H (from the other thread) share a server, and it had some sort of corruption.

In that case, two possible conclusions came up. One, someone else said they had a similar problem that went away after they rebooted, and two, as I said, even 0.133 is over a year old now, and upstream seems in hibernation, but there's a guy here, K. Haley, who did a git-clone of the upstream repository and has patched several bugs based on bugzilla patch submissions, and added experimental code for another couple bugs as well. I suggested that if Jim was up to compiling his own copy (he said he's no stranger to such things), he might try that and see if it worked any better for him.

That's where the thread was left. I don't know if it fixed the problem or if as I mentioned perhaps you guys share a server and it was a server issue of some kind, or what, but I do know that it can't be a quirk of the particular code itself, as with your report, it's in both the half- decade-old code you're running and the year old code of 0.133 from upstream. Whether it's in KH's git repo code hasn't been reported, but if it's happening as far removed as you're version, it's either something particularly characteristic of both the old and new pan code bases, or it's server related... or it could be simply very strange coincidence that you all three seemed to have the same hardware or whatever issue at the same time.

It'd be very interesting to see if say knode or thunderbird had the same issue against the same news server with the same posts.

BTW, I mentioned the archive. One place you can find it is gmane.org either as a newsgroup (the way I participate on the list) or web based.

  I will look into upgrading. I remember something similar in VMS.
 One would delete ".newsrc" file, restart their news reader ( I gorget
 which at the time ) and things like that were fixed.

  Thanks for your reply,

  Paul