pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Pan not changing posting news server.

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Pan not changing posting news server.
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 07:37:52 +0000 (UTC)

terryc posted on Sat, 05 Sep 2009 14:09:32 +1000 as excerpted:

> my ISp Exetel changed my static IP address and now I do not have news
> access to the old news server.
>
> So, in pan I moved it to fallback and moved eternal-september up to
> primary.
>
> Problem is that Pan persists in trying to post to old news reader.
>
> What is the proceddure to swap news servers

There's two issues you'll likely have here.

1) Posting, as you mentioned.

This one's because you don't understand the logic behind what pan does
with posting, or it'd not be a problem.  Thus, that's what I really need
to explain.

It's perfectly logical if you think of it that way:  Where do you
configure anything about posting?  The posting profile!  What is the
choice of where the post goes, if not part of the information you
configure for posting.  Where is all the information for posting
configured?  The posting profile!

So, your problem is simply that the posting profile is still set to the
original server.  Go to posting profiles, choose the one you want to
change if you have several, and choose the appropriate server from the
list.

2) Fallback does NOT equal disabled.

People often experience problems because they expect the fallback server
to be disabled unless a post doesn't appear on the regular server, and
that it's no big deal if a connection can't be made to it.  But it
doesn't work that way.  Think about it.  How would pan /know/ that a
message wasn't on the main server(s), unless it contacted the fallback(s)
to see what messages it (they) had that the main server(s) didn't.

So when you tell pan to get overviews (aka headers, tho technically,
it's /not/ headers, only a very limited subset of headers, thus the term
"overview"), it tries to connect to /all/ servers including fallbacks, to
download at /least/ overviews.

Unfortunately, pan doesn't really have a way, at least built-in, to
disable a server without removing it entirely.  There /is/ a manual way
around that, but it involves changing the files around when pan's not
running, so it basically doesn't realize the other server was ever
there.  In pan's data dir, ~/.pan2/ by default, the server config is kept
in a file called servers.xml.  Basically, what you do is you create two
copies of this file, one with the server you want temporarily disabled in
it (that's the one you have now), one carefully edited to remove the
server you want to temporarily disable, while keeping the xml format
intact so pan can still parse it.  Name each one something different, say
servers.all.xml and servers.disabled.xml.  Then either create servers.xml
as a symlink pointing to the appropriate one, or copy the one you want to
servers.xml.  Either way, when you want to switch, simply shut down pan,
and either re-point the symlink at the appropriate one, or copy the
appropriate one over servers.xml, so servers.xml now has the
configuration you want once again.  Then restart pan.

If you know a bit of shell scripting, it's reasonably easy to automate
the process, perhaps creating two different scripts that setup
servers.xml appropriately, before starting pan, so you can then invoke
whichever one instead of invoking pan directly.  Or, you can create a
pan.switchserver script, that takes a single parameter, and based on it,
either does the copy or repoints the symlink as necessary, and simply
invoke that script with pan shut down, any time you wish to switch.  It's
up to you.

But you may not have to worry about #2.  I've never had a situation here
where I had to temporarily disable one like that, but we've had people
post questions about it before, so I thought I'd mention it, in case you
do see the issue.