pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Follow question

From: walt
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Follow question
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 05:48:38 -0700

On 08/11/2009 12:05 AM, Duncan wrote:
Besides, as I mentioned, I'm not up with whatever changes MICROS~1 might
have developed in the last nearing a decade now, anyway, tho from what I
read they /have/ gotten a bit better in that regard...

I don't use Windows unless absolutely forced (and thanks to a greatly
improved wine, that's seldom nowadays) but I do install beta releases
of Windows, like Win7, just to see how long it will take them to enter
the twentieth century.

They did introduce the equivalent of home directories a few versions ago,
but it took years for the applications developers to stop putting data
in the same directory with the executables.

Pan's most popular rival, Agent, was putting its data in the program
directory up until version 4.x, so it had to be run as root.  That was
years after Windows had 'home' directories available.

M$ did introduce the 'selfish' into the programming community and it
took ages for it to wear (almost) off.  The user community is still
years behind the programmers, sadly. Most Windows users still run as
root and don't know anything about it.  Botnets abound.