pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Better processing of very large groups?

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Better processing of very large groups?
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 13:49:36 +0000 (UTC)

"Travis" <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Thu, 02
Jul 2009 23:50:40 -0700:

> I also saw that the folk that provide the Windows version of Pan said
> he/she/they were going to add it, sometime.
>
> So I take it the patch can't just be applied to Pan?

Yes, that's what I I thought I said, apply it to pan, probably with a few
more patches as well.  Where /else/ would a pan patch be applied?  To the
kernel?  To the GTK or other libraries pan uses?  Hardly.

But of course, then that patched pan source has to be recompiled, and
it's probably just a matter of getting the properly rounded tuit <g>, for
them to get all the patches together, apply them, then recompile the
binary, upload it to their server so folks can download it, and then make
the announcement.  All that takes time, and since the folks doing it are
volunteers that work that into their schedule around whatever else they
do in real life, as I said, it's a question of getting the properly
rounded tuit (getting around to it).

Unless you actually meant patching the binary, which as Ron says,
basically isn't done in the freedomware world.  And it wouldn't help
here, either, because that'd be an additional step, taking a binary diff
of the post-patched post-recompiled program binary against the original
one.  But the process to get that compiled binary to binary diff against
the original one is still the same, and once it's actually compiled, why
not simply put the new version up and tell people about it?

So as Ron says, binary diffs simply aren't done very often in the
freedomware world (with occasional exceptions for particular
distributions, who may distribute binary diffs for mostly security
updates of specific versions of current packages for currently supported
distribution releases), as there's simply too many possible binary
versions out there to diff against, including the possibility that users
have compiled their own versions, which won't match the binary diffs
anyway.  So it's just not all that practical.

The proprietaryware world is of course rather different, since there's
generally only a very limited few bit-unique binary versions out there,
often only one for a particular product version, and it's thus much
simpler to provide binary patches for them.