pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Pan marks all new messages as read

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Pan marks all new messages as read
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 15:31:12 +0000 (UTC)

Jim Henderson <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Fri, 19 Jun 2009 04:42:33
+0000:

> What I do is just
> edit the file and reset the message range for the group in question to
> something like 1-1.  Do this while Pan is shut down, and then restart it
> and you should be fine.

Correct.

> When I usually see this, it's because I'm doing a "mark all messages as
> read" before moving to the next group - that seems to trigger it more
> often than not.

This is one of a couple reasons I never use that feature.  (The other is
that if I'm in a hurry or too tired to deal with a message ATM, I'll
often it marked unread, to look at again later.  Marking all as read when
leaving the group or when quiting pan defeats this.)

Instead, I let pan mark a message read as I read it, then select and mark-
read any messages I want to skip when I leave the group.  If there's none
I want to keep unread, I select-all, mark-as-read.

Note that this doesn't work so well if the header pane is filtered to not
show ignored or negative scored messages, as pan doesn't auto-mark them
read either, that way.  To avoid that being a problem, I just keep the
view filters set to show all scores, and rely on the score color coding
to spot the ignored, etc, so I can mark them read or delete them without
even reading them.

resolved/WORKSFORME =:^)  (For those that don't get the reference, likely
those that seldom if ever file bugs for various products they might use,
WORKSFORME is often one possible resolution in bug entry databases such
as bugzilla.  Other alternatives are NOTABUG, INVALID, FIXED, etc.)