pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Newsfeed

From: Gerald L
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Newsfeed
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 13:11:01 -0500

Giganews has the bburg groups. Last post in bburg.forsale was 3/17/2009 last posts in bburg.general were in February by some beartooth guy. va.forsale is also there and shows posts as late as yesterday. downloading all headers worked fine.

If the bburg.xxxx originating server has gone away there may be a DRASTIC drop in traffic until people that used those groups start using other services that still carry them.

I carry all giganews feeds @$8.95/month flat. I just don't advertise the separate service much. It's set up for my dial-up customers and has some tight limits to keep my cost low enough to offer full feeds.

No volume limits but you are limited to a single connection to the server and speed of 128KiB/sec max. That means you can't do things like download all headers read messages at the same time quickly. Pan handles the limits very well by interleaving tasks. Downloading binaries would take ... forever.

Only noting it here in case you're interested. I do no advertise on email lists. Email me at junkmail . sysmatrix . net and I'll reply from my work support address.