pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Newsfeed

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Newsfeed
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 15:56:40 +0000 (UTC)

Beartooth <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sun, 22 Mar 2009
14:47:40 +0000:

>> You might try www.motzarella.org.  I like them.
>
>       Hmmm... I don't see Gmane, nor grc, nor va in their list of
> hierarchies; does that mean trouble?

No, no trouble, because those aren't publicly distributed news feeds --
you have to get them from whatever private "news" server.  ("News" is in
quotes there since it's not news in the normal/public/USENET sense.)

>       Incidentally, what I found said specifically that Comcast does
> not provide "Usenet." Searching comcast.net gets a long list of what I
> guess are feeds; but what I don't see is any indication whether comcast
> provides any feeds other than usenet. And I can't really tell yet what,
> if anything, I'm getting from whom.
>
>       When I list six or eight newsservers in Pan, what determines how
> I actually get to them? Am I getting news.gmane.org, for instance,
> through comcast, or still through swva, or somehow directly, or what??

Once you setup a server in pan, it grabs the newsgroup list from that
server, and automatically adds any new ones to the combined list of
newsgroups.  When you visit a group, then, pan automatically checks all
servers that carry that group for messages, then automatically grabs
messages from whatever server they are on.

If all servers are ranked the same priority, it'll treat them the same
when fetching messages.  If you have some set lower priority, it'll try
the high priority ones first, only falling back to the others if the high
priority servers don't have the message to download.

Since all the gmane groups, for instance, will only be on the gmane
server, it'll only grab them from there.  Same, I expect, with the grc
groups, etc, from the grc server only.  But if you have several normal
USENET servers, proper USENET groups will probably appear on most or all
of them and pan will simply "do the right thing" for downloads.

Uploads are somewhat different.  However, since you like things in small
easy steps, I'd suggest setting up the new news server and verifying that
you can download before you worry about posting at all.

When you have downloading working, setup at least one posting profile for
each server you want to post to.  Presumably that means you'll have at
least one profile each for gmane, grc, etc, since they're the only ones
carrying those group, plus at least one for one of your normal USENET
servers.  While you're setting up the profiles, be sure to select the
server you want to post to for that profile.  Don't forget and leave it
at the default or pan will give you a warning if you try to use a profile
that posts to a server that doesn't carry that group.

Each posting profile is associated with a posting server.  By choosing
that posting profile, you choose that server.  As I mentioned above, if
that server doesn't have that particular group, pan will warn you and ask
if you want to post anyway.  Just say no and choose the posting profile
that you setup to use the correct server, above.

Note that pan will normally remember the posting profile you used for
each group, so you should only have to choose the profile only the first
time you post to each group, and pan will use that one after that.  The
first post can be slightly confusing, however, if the profile pan uses by
default isn't the one you intended to use and you forgot that you hadn't
set it for that group yet.  Again, pan warns you if the server doesn't
carry the group.  It's just that some people don't make the connection
between posting profile and posting server right away.  That's why I've
repeated it several different ways now. =:^)