pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Pan Reviewed in Linux Format Magazine

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Pan Reviewed in Linux Format Magazine
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 22:39:41 +0000 (UTC)

Jim Henderson <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Wed, 04 Mar 2009 21:53:21
+0000:

> Just got my April 2009 issue (yes, I'm a time traveler, apparently <g>),

FWIW, magazine dates used to confuse me too.  Then it was explained to me
that the date is when it /expires/, not when it's published or hits your
box and the stands.  Thus, for a monthly (which I assume Linux Format
is), just getting the April edition should be correct -- it'll expire the
beginning of April when the May edition comes out.

So it sort of makes sense, but it's still a bit confusing.

> and the "Roundup" this month is on newsreaders.
>
> They compared Gnus, SLRN, Thunderbird, XPN, KNode, and Pan.
>
> Pan rated an 8/10 in the review, and was given the thumbs up in their
> verdict (ie, it was selected as the best of the newsreaders).
>
> Pan's binary download handling is what pushed it over KNode, but they do
> note that KNode's scoring system is better than Pan's.

Congrats Pan!

You (they) are right, tho, it's scoring could be better, and of course
knode can /post/ binaries (but not yEnc, AFAIK), something pan can't do
on its own.