pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Save attachment file permissions

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Save attachment file permissions
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 15:22:53 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 14:06:46 +0000, Duncan wrote:

> walt <address@hidden> posted
> address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Thu, 19 Feb 2009
> 13:19:55 +0000:
>
>> Interesting to note that only attachments posted from a *nix news
>> client would cause this problem in the first place, and the article in
>> question was posted with Gravity, which was once a Windows-only client.
>>  Since then it's become open source and the perpetrator must be running
>> a unix version customized for evildoing.  Feh!
>
> Wouldn't it be more likely that he's running a Windows version, but
> hacked to use 755 as the default perms?  I mean, if he's got to have
> customized/hacked it anyway, that seems like a MUCH simpler hack than
> getting it to run in *ix, except possibly with wine, in which case it'd
> still use the presumably 644 default perms assumption.

I just looked at Gravity source code and it's obviously still a true
Windows application.  Far more likely than either hypothesis is that
the perp simply forged his headers to cast suspicion on someone he
doesn't like :o)

I can't imagine the intended victim of a Windows app posted with *ix
file perms.  Such an audience would be too small to bother about, I'd
think:  a *ix user who is sophisticated enough to set wine up to run
a .exe by clicking on it?  Like hens teeth, I imagine, and most likely
much too smart to fall for it in the first place.

Dunno.