pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Save attachment file permissions

From: Steven D'Aprano
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Save attachment file permissions
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 00:23:09 +1100

Duncan wrote:

So it doesn't look like I'm going to be made to eat some of those 250 lines now after all, tho only by virtue of the fact that it's not the pan code that's doing it but the library. =:^)

Overheard in the boardroom of Ford Motor Company:

"Oh no, you can't blame our SUVs for their poor fuel economy or for producing vast amounts of carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, nitrous oxide, sulphur dioxide and benzene. It's not the fault of the SUV, it's the fault of the *engine*."

*wink*

> It's just that pan doesn't
have code to undo what the library does by default, or to prevent it doing it in the first place (say by altering the UUE perms to kill the execute bits before feeding it to the decoder), either.

I'm actually relieved. It sounds like it's not a deliberate decision to change the permission, just a bug caused by (inadvertent?) reliance on a standard invented when programmers were even more trusting and naive than they are now. In other words, an ordinary security hole, not a sign of moral degeneracy :)

--
Steven