pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: make error - undefined reference to iconv

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: make error - undefined reference to iconv
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 20:24:59 +0000 (UTC)

Greg Lee <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Fri, 09 Jan 2009 19:27:22
+0000:

> Yes, I think you should use the more recent pan.  Possibly though, you
> could get further compiling the old version if you update your libgmime
> to version 2.x.  (My newer pan does not link to libiconv, and neither
> does my version of libgmime.)

Updating libgmime to 2.x isn't likely to work.  The way most libraries
work on Linux is that major version upgrades are normally incompatible,
while minor version upgrades are normally backward compatible.  Thus, a
1.x and a 2.x version of the library are incompatible and are effectively
two different libraries.  If an app will build against one, it'll
normally be incompatible with the other (tho rarely there's glue and
configure options to allow building against either, but it still links to
just one or the other depending on the configure options).

Thus, upgrading a library to 2.x isn't likely to help, but installing
2.x, if that's what the app needs, in parallel with 1.x (assuming 1.x is
still needed by something else on the system), may work, if no 2.x
version is yet installed.

However, ordinarily, if the proper major version wasn't installed, the
configure script would detect that and refuse to build.