pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Trouble with Pan and news.grc.com

From: Beartooth
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Trouble with Pan and news.grc.com
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 20:54:19 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 20:13:48 +0100, Per Hedeland wrote:

> Beartooth <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>!> Warning: The posting profile's server doesn't carry newsgroup !>   "
>>grc.techtalk".
>
> I guess that's absolutely verbatim, including the "weird" space between
> the opening quote and 'grc'?

        Dunno, due to formatting -- when it left here, each "!" began a
line; so it was not apparent whether there was an extra space. You have
sharp eyes.

>>-- while the Newsgroups line at the top of the Message contains :
>>grc.techtalk.linux, grc.techtalk Anybody see any typos??
>
> Yes - the groups must be separated *only* by a single comma - no
> whitespace allowed. I.e. the server saw it as an attempt to post to the
> groups "grc.techtalk.linux" and " grc.techtalk" - the latter presumably
> doesn't exist, while "grc.techtalk" does.

        Oho! Shades of the GPO! Back when I began cataloging books into
the Library of Congress, and it still printed literally thousands of
copies of every card, the formatting for the printers at the GPO was
coded into the spacing. If you got one too many or too few, every copy of
the card turned into gibberish from there down...

        I thank you, SIR, and offer a sweeping bow to your exemplary
perspicacity. Thanks again!