pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Resource temporarily unavailable ??

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Resource temporarily unavailable ??
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 14:42:41 +0000 (UTC)

Gerald L <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Mon, 29 Dec 2008
01:50:35 -0600:

> $ ulimit
> unlimited

Assuming bash, try help ulimit.  POSIX ulimit only sets the writable
file-size limit, but bash, the normal shell on Linux, has a much less
limited and more practical list of options.

You want either ulimit -a (report all limits) or ulimit -n -x (with -f
being the default/POSIX option).

However, it looks like we're probably chasing a dead-end anyway...

You can try running pan from a terminal window and see if it spits out
any additional info at that time, and then try it with --debug if it it
doesn't spit out anything on its own.

Have you used strace before?  You could try stracing pan too, but be
warned (if you've not used it before) you could be looking thru reams of
data... even if you limit it to file-ops.  You'd have to redirect the
output to a file, /only/ try that group (set auto-check at startup and
etc off so it doesn't automatically check the other groups) and hope it
triggers before you get too many megs of data to grep thru.  Then you'd
grep for the file in question and read the output looking for that file
handle from there...  Also, stracing will significantly reduce pan's
speed since you're intercepting all system/kernel calls... and you're
still not guaranteed much helpful output.

Of course running it pan thru gdb is another debug option, but I don't
know enough about it to help, there.

One other slight possibility... your disk starting to go bad and
returning intermittent errors on access to that file.  Or if you're
overclocking or your powersupply isn't quite up to par... but you should
be getting errors elsewhere too, in that case -- at least on other groups
and probably with other apps.

Other than that... all I could suggest, assuming nobody else pops in with
suggestions and that you're already running the latest 0.133, would be to
check bugzilla for similar bugs, and file one if you don't see any.
Charles hasn't been very active with pan the last year and a half or so,
tho he did find time for the 0.133 release exactly one year to the day
after 0.132 was released, on Aug. 1.  I'm running the SVN version, but
IIRC (and by the changelog) the only updates since 0.133 have been to the
l10n (localization) stuff.

Oh, several Ubuntu users have reported strange problems when running
GNOME after an update recently... that goes away when running other
desktop environments (KDE or XFCE mentioned).  You could try that...

If you can't tell, I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel of ideas...