pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] performance ...

From: Joe Zeff
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] performance ...
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 22:17:23 -0800

On 12/08/2008 address@hidden wrote:
it seems to me that PAN could use some performance tuning. I cannot believe that it take so long to sort some 1000000 articles. It are just strings ?

I take it that you either don't program, or have never studied sorting. I don't program any more, but back when I did, I was very interested, for some strange reason, in sorting. One thing I still remember is this: as the number of items to sort goes up, the time goes up, and it's never in a 1:1 ratio, although the best get gosh-darn close: triple the number of items and the time goes up by a factor of about 3.39. And, even if Pan does a pointer sort, eventually it's going to have to move all those strings into the right order, and that's going to take a little time, especially if they're on disk instead of RAM. I'm not saying that Pan couldn't be faster, but when you're talking about a million articles, it's going to take more than an eyeblink.

--
Joe Zeff
If you can't play with words, what good are they?