pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: New Pan problem

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: New Pan problem
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 18:28:06 +0000 (UTC)

Jim Henderson <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Mon, 08 Dec 2008 16:45:06
+0000:

> What I typically do is just set it to 0-1 and then sort the messages by
> date after a new download (you have to make the change while pan isn't
> running) and mark up to a certain time as read.
>
> It seems that "mark all as read" tends to trigger this problem for me.

I think you may have something there!  This may be why I don't usually
see the problem here.

I very very seldom use "mark all as read", preferring (for text groups)
instead to either have them auto-mark as I read them (if I'm not
interested in a thread I'll just click and read to get it auto-marked),
or when I'm done with a group, select-all-articles (I remapped my
keyboard accelerators so this is easy, ctrl-alt-a), then hit mark-read
(m).

On the binary groups, when I do them which I haven't for over a year now,
IIRC, I go thru picking and choosing download samples, and if I like what
I see I  download the whole series to cache (which on my binary instance
is configured for a 12-gig dedicated partition), marking read and
deleting the overviews for spam and series I don't like.  Then when
everything's in cache so I can work locally, I go thru and decide whether
it's worth saving or not, and where to save it if so, again deleting the
overviews as I go.  When I'm done, I (manually) delete cache, so the only
thing pan still has is the article numbers.  If I get back before they're
all new on the server anyway, it's still tracking them.  If not, no
problem, and I just download all overviews/headers next time I check the
group again.

So I very seldom use the mark-all-as-read function, thus never mark to
the high-water-mark, so if it's wacky for some reason, I never see it.