pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: compile ?

From: Travis
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: compile ?
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 10:18:30 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Duncan" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, December 07, 2008 04:56 AM
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: compile ?

> "Travis" <address@hidden> posted
> address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sun, 07
> Dec 2008 00:36:23 -0800:
>
>> I want to compile Pan 0.133 from source on my netbook.  I have Ubuntu
>> dual boot with XP. I have just done "apt-get install build-essential"
>> that I read about on http://www.linux.com/feature/54945 paragraph 9.
>> The rest of the directions I don't get.  Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Hopefully someone with direct Ubuntu knowledge will step in to fill in
> what I miss as I don't run Ubuntu, but Gentoo.  However...
>
> Having read the linked instructions, it looks like you should now do this
> (with sudo if appropriate):
>
> apt-get build-dep pan
>
> Since both Ubuntu 2008.x versions come with pan 0.132, and the deps
> between it and 0.133 aren't different except that 0.133 allows never
> versions of various dependencies, according to the link, that should
> install the various dev-packages (build-deps), containing headers and etc
> that compiling pan from source requires but that aren't included in the
> normal binary packages because they aren't required for running pre-built
> binaries.
>
> If you don't already have it, you also want to install checkinstall:
>
> apt-get install checkinstall
>
> Once you've done that without error, you should have what's necessary to
> build and install pan.  Now, you need the pan sources tarball itself.
> Download it from pan.rebelbase.com and untar it (this part can be as a
> normal user) to some working directory.

Can I download it to the desktop?
Would that be pan-0.133.tar.bz2 or pan-0.133.tar.gz?
How do I untar it?

> The below assumes you are running the various commands from the pan
> sources dir you just untarred, so cd into it now.

If by "running the various commands" you mean things like "apt-get" from a
terminal , that is what I have been doing.
What is "cd into it"?

> The configure script sets up the build for your system, detecting all
> sorts of stuff like which compiler to use (gcc), where utilities like sed
> are located, what command line options various things need, that sort of
> stuff.
>
> Another bit of configuration that the configure script handles is various
> compile time options.  You can run (normally these work run as a normal
> user)...
>
> ./configure --help
>
> ... to get a list.  Most things will be auto-detected so you don't need
> to worry about them, but the spelling option is of particular interest
> and I believe you have to specifically enable it or it's disabled.  For
> your first try, I'd say turn on spelling only if the default Ubuntu
> version has it, because otherwise you'll have to download additional
> dependencies.  Better to just do it like Ubuntu does for now and worry
> about spelling later if it doesn't enable it and you want it.
>
> Once you've figured out your configure command line, you'll run it as
> simply
>
> ./configure
>
> to use the defaults, or (as appropriate)
>
> ./configure --with-whatever --without-whichever
>

> Once the configure script has finished without error, it's time to do the
> actual compile.  This will take some time, particularly on a limited
> resource netbook, so you can set it running and go eat lunch or watch a
> TV program or whatever.  Figure half an hour, possibly more.  (I've no
> idea how long it'll take on that, maybe even two hours, if it's still
> spitting out updates every couple minutes or so, just let it keep
> going.)  As with configure, make should normally be runnable as a user,
> tho there may be occasional access errors but if so it's really a bug
> either with pan or with Ubuntu.  This command is simple:
>
> make
>
> After that completes, assuming success, most people would run make
> install.  However, the Ubuntu way seems to be checkinstall, which will
> make a normal .deb package out of it and install that.  That's the better
> way, since the package manager then knows about it and can handle
> uninstall and etc.  This would again need run as root, with sudo, etc.
> according to the link (and it makes sense since you're installing to dirs
> that aren't normally user writable), but other than that, I don't know
> anything about it since it's Debian/Ubuntu specific.
>
> checkinstall
>
> Hope it helps! =:^)

Those are all the questions I have so far.  I'm sure I will have more as I
progress.

In order to get Ubuntu and my netbook (Eee PC 1000H) to work together (hardware
wise) properly I needed to do a bunch of modifications to Ubuntu by following
the directions at www.array.org and they didn't always work the first time and
I was almost ready to give up but tried it one more time and then the
modifications took effect.

I also have Ubuntu on my desktop (dual boot with Vista) and will want to update
to Pan 0.133 here as well.

Thanks much for the help.
--
Travis in Shoreline Washington