pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Pan fails to deal with non-Latin usernames(Windows)

From: Roman
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Pan fails to deal with non-Latin usernames(Windows)
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 22:19:17 +0400

Just to demonstrate how confusing this problem can be, I've attached
three screen captures (I hope they make it through the different servers)
to show how that name appears to me: your original post, your second post,
and your second post as quoted by George's mail client.

I suppose George manually set the source encoding to KOI8-R before quoting, so that's why it appears right in the third screenshot. Aside from that, nothing amusing.

Does pan's error message render the name correctly?

In fact, it does! I suppose that supports my theory about it using UTF-8 with non-GTK+ functions.

 Does it save its own settings properly in that directory?

If it did, there wouldn't be any problems. ;=] But it does create the initial .pan2 directory with the following layout:

C:\Documents and Settings\Администратор\.pan2\accels.txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Администратор\.pan2\article-cache
C:\Documents and Settings\Администратор\.pan2\groups