pan-users

[Pan-users] VDQ : xterm font size -- aaarrrgghhh ...

From: Beartooth
Subject: [Pan-users] VDQ : xterm font size -- aaarrrgghhh ...
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 13:40:53 +0000 (UTC)

        I'm setting up a bunch of new stuff, hard-, soft-, and netware -
wise. Thanks to much kind help here, particularly iirc (and as usual)
from Duncan, blessed be his name, I have a way that works to send email
from Pan -- one of the things I have to be able to do -- using "xterm -e
alpine -url %s" in my gnome preferences, and "gnome preferences" in my
Pan Preferences under Applications. (My normal terminal is Gnome's own.)

        The only problem, which I'm trying to deal with at last, is that
the native xterm default settings (in Fedora on all my machines, at
least) make it tiny and its font illegibly so; I have to make very sure
of my proofreading in Pan, and then take what it puts into Alpine on the
xterm on faith -- no second-guessing nor afterthoughts.

        So I tried looking at man xterm.

        OmigawddlemityDAM! Talk about a classically unreadable man
page... This one may just take every cake in cyberspace.

        You need to've been present not just at the creation, but
throughout the development, of all the soft- *and* *hard-* ware
concerned. I won't (and don't want to!) live long enough to slog through
all that to the point where I can use it.

        There are umpteen incomprehensible switches just for fonts.

        All I want to do is make whatever font it has about five to seven
times the size it is now -- as big as I can resize its window to
accommodate -- and let that become the default.

        Somebody have mercy on a tired old man and tell me a way to do
only this, and nothing more -- pretty please? With sugar on it?

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2, Epiphany 2, Opera 9, Firefox 2 & 3