pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Pan fails to deal with non-Latin usernames(Windows)

From: Roman
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Pan fails to deal with non-Latin usernames(Windows)
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 22:37:07 +0400

I don't know how this will look on your screen, but the word looks to
me like a mess of vowels with diacritics.  Did George do some hand-
transcription, or did his system do some translation that my system
failed to?  I'm just curious what is going on.

I b0rked it, sorry.

Outlook Express has weird default options for newsgroup posting. The diacritics you saw were actually КОИ8-Р (KOI8-R), but not properly marked as such. I tweaked the settings, should be fine now. Here's the entire uppercase Russian alphabet, encoded in КОИ8-Р for extra hilarity^Wi18n testing:

АБВГДЕЁЖЗИЙКЛМНОПРСТУФХЦЧШЩЪЫЬЭЮЯ