pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Started using new Pan

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Started using new Pan
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 00:30:50 +0000 (UTC)

Maurice <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Mon, 01 Sep
2008 19:25:23 +0100:

> On Wednesday 20 August 2008 15:01:35 I wrote:
>
>> > Have now installed 0.1.3.2 via Mandriva repository
>>
>>   Which shows it as "0.132-2".
>
> I've had to go back to old Pan, as new Pan is so unstable.
>
> ( Frequently freezing ('Program not responding'), or refusing to post or
> to read new. Sometimes Header pane goes blank, though 'n' shows next
> msg.)

That's interesting.  I keep pan open for days here on Gentoo, setup on
its own desktop, set to start with X/KDE and shuts down with it, with no
problems like that at all.  In fact, I've not seein anything like that
for years, since xorg was first getting composite and /that/ was crashing
X, and with it pan of course.

OTOH, I'm running 64-bit, dual-dual-core Opteron 290s, 8 gigs RAM,
4-spindle kernel/mdp RAID-6, fully self-compiled system, with
(C(XX)?|LD)FLAGS customized specifically to this hardware and my desires
as sysadmin, not some generic compiled one-for-all 32-bit crap on
under-resourced hardware.

It'd be interesting to run it under valgrind or gdb and see if you can
find where it's crashing.  (It's possible you're seeing that security
issue back on 0.132, if your distribution hadn't patched it.  It's
patched in 0.133.)