pan-users

RE: [Pan-users] Re: pan servers settings

From: Jethro Tull
Subject: RE: [Pan-users] Re: pan servers settings
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 22:13:56 +0000

> To: address@hidden
> From: address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 01:02:40 +0000
> Subject: [Pan-users] Re: pan servers settings

> First, please kill the HTML. There's a reason pan doesn't do HTML.
> Please respect that at least on the pan lists, even if you can't be
> bothered to do so elsewhere.
Actually I'm using hotmail. this enables RTF by default. now I disabled it, it
should be ok.

> Second, you don't mention what version of pan you are using,
since i posted for another issue just before in which i mentioned the version
number here i completely forgot.

> Newer pan checks all configured servers that have a particular group,
> seeing what posts are on all of them.
you mean pan uses all available servers to update news?
for a given group, say alt.os.linux, all the posts should be same either on one
server or the other, is it? maybe except that some servers are late to update.
so why does pan uses many servers?
anyway if Pan finds one post same as what it found on another server will it
download it anyway?

> If you wish, you can set different
> server priorities
you mean "server's rank" in Pan "servers settings"?
i have already tryed it.
actually, wherever i am only one server works.
Whatever the priority settings i always get the error message that one server
is off and no news are downloaded at all.

> and pan will try to download all the messages it can
> from the primary servers, using the backup servers only if a message
> isn't on the primary, but it always checks all configured servers to see
> what messages they have.
>
> The workaround, if you don't want it to check all your servers (say you
> can't access some at all part of the time), is to configure multiple
> server sets.
>
> First, configure one set, then close pan and move or copy the servers.xml
> file (by *ix default, ~/.pan2/servers.xml, unless you've set the PAN_HOME
> environmental variable to point it elsewhere, I don't do proprietaryware
> such as MS anything, if you're on it, maybe someone else will help) to
> say servers.xml.1, then open pan back up and configure the other set.
> When that's done, close pan again and move the second set to another
> file, say servers.xml.2, and repeat for any additional server lists you
> want to keep separate.
>
> Then create shell starter scripts, say pan.server1 and pan.server2, that
> copy the approropriate server config to servers.xml before starting pan.
> You can then run them from a terminal window or open dialog instead of
> running pan itself. Optionally, if you use a menu entry or other launch
> method, set it up with an entry for each shellscript launcher, replacing
> the former single pan entry.

ok i'll try doing it.
> If you need help with the shell scripts, just say so, and I can post
> samples you can modify to fit your needs.

I think:
##-------
cp ~/server1.xml ~/pan2/servers.xml
pan

is enough?!!

but will kde run it again from the same script to run pan at next startx if in
previous session there was a pan session running at logging out?