pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: patch: support for multiple spellchecker languages

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: patch: support for multiple spellchecker languages
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 01:03:38 +0000 (UTC)

Rui Maciel <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Wed, 20 Aug
2008 18:48:59 +0100:

> I've tinkered a bit with Pan's source code and I've managed to implement
> support for custom, per-newsgroup spellchecker language.
>
> At the moment GtkSpell v2 doesn't offer a way to produce a list of all
> available languages, so it isn't possible to set the language through a
> nifty combo box. Fortunately GtkSpell still supports non-system locales
> as long as a valid language tag (i.e., "pt_PT") of an available
> dictionary is specified. That means that, with this patch, we only need
> to edit a group's preferences and manually add the desired language tag
> in a text entry widget and all is well. If the user manages to screw
> things up and enter an invalid language tag then Pan just goes on with
> the system locale.
>
> Nonetheless, once GtkSpell v3 is released or if Enchant is added as a
> dependency then the whole combo box thingy can be quickly implemented.

I only write English (to any useful degree anyway) so this won't directly
affect me personally, but I know it'll be a welcome change for many! =:^)

I don't expect Charles will want to add the additional enchant
dependency, but then, he hasn't been too keen on complicated settings
either.  Thus it may be that he won't add this right away, tho I'd hope
he will, with or without the enchant dependency (which would after all
still be linked to the spelling option, which can be turned off along
with its dependencies at compile time).

Either way, tho, PLEASE PLEASE either open a bug with this and attach the
patch.  Even if Charles doesn't include the patch upstream right away,
it's likely various distributions will.  In the bug, you can reference
your post and further discussion here as:

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnome.apps.pan.user/10090

When you have a bug number/URL, please post a followup here with it, as
I'd like to submit it for Gentoo inclusion ASAP, and they'll be much more
likely to carry it if it's already bugged upstream.  Or if you'd prefer
to let me, say so, and I'll referencing your post as above (as I probably
will in a week or so anyway if you don't get to it).