pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Connections [Is it hiding a security hole?]

From: Timothy J. Hamilton
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Connections [Is it hiding a security hole?]
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 18:33:32 -0400

I tried editing servers.xml as root. No help. I changed permissions and

ownership. Setting owner as forbidden to write & setting ownership of the file

to root.

On startup both times, Pan acted as if it were a new install. Entries in the

edited servers.xml were removed.

It would seem that somewhere Pan is not respecting *nix file ownership settings

and permissions at least when it comes to servers.xml.

That would suggest a security hole, even if a small one. It is my end-user

non-programmer understanding that the foundation of *nix security was strict

enforcement of file permissions and ownerships. If Pan starts as a user-process

it should not be able to manipulate/delete/change files owned by root unless

the user-process is run with special privilege(s) using sudo, kdesu, or

similar.

It would seem that all that would be necessary to wreak some mayhem would be

creation of a symbolic link to files containing passwords, even if those files

are encrypted. Even if the only thing done was the deletion of those files

containing the system's passwords.

I would very much appreciate confirmation or disproof of the above.