pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: freeze, high CPU getting new headers

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: freeze, high CPU getting new headers
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 21:56:13 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 15:57:21 -0400, Kurt Schilling wrote:

> Greg Lee wrote:
>> On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 18:32:34 +0000, Matthijs Benschop wrote:
>>
>>> Btw, I always get segfault when closing 'post article' window and when
>>> expanding the group list in the left pane...
>>
>> I also get a fault when I attempt to expand the unsubscribed group
>> list. That has happened ever since I started using Pan a little over a
>> year ago. (I work around it by entering patterns in the Group Name box
>> and viewing unsubscribed groups that way.)

> In terms of the current discussion of the high CPU cycles, I have not
> seen this with previous versions of xorg. But since the installation of
> HH8.04, I have consistent high cpu cycling. It seems that this is a
> known bug in Ubuntu that is related to xorg and the System Monitor...

Thanks for letting us know about this, Kurt.  Just to clarify a bit,
this high CPU usage you refer to happens even without running pan?
Do you mean it happens only when running System Monitor?  Is that the
gnome system monitor panel applet, or something else?

In any case, I don't see the problem on my install of Ubuntu 8.04, but
I do compile my own kernel FWIW.

Oh, and most important of all, are you running the 64-bit Ubuntu?