pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: freeze, high CPU getting new headers

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: freeze, high CPU getting new headers
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 01:24:11 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 16:56:39 +0000, Matthijs Benschop wrote:

> Op Mon, 04 Aug 2008 21:58:21 +0000, schreef walt:
>

>> Have you used strace before?  It's pretty simple to run, not so easy to
>> interpret the output sometimes...

> Okay, done that. The output is at
>
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~benscho9/pan/
>
> Ive set pan to get headers for a.b.image group or something. During the
> stals I fired strace for a few secs.
>
> First three files were started during a stall en stoped before it
> continued. The fourth was while running happily and during the fifth it
> was running wel and bumped into a stall.
>
> Btw, thanks guys for the help sofar.

Your backtraces were very interesting.  Now I need to figure out what they
mean :o)

Your 'stuck' traces show an infinite loop of file read and writes, and the
output includes the names ROLE_TOOL_BAR and ROLE_TOOL_TIP over and over.
It's easy to figure out that these symbols belong to atk (accessibility
tool kit), and that's no surprise because pan is linked to libatk.

After thinking a bit (I'm not used to that kind of exertion) I thought to
hover my mouse pointer over the boxes in the bottom left corner of pan's
window, and sure enough there are tooltips there that give info about the
connections to your news server(s) and their download speeds.  As Yogi
Berra once said, "You can observe a lot just by watching."

I'm falling asleep now, so I'll try thinking again tomorrow (shudder).