pan-users

Re: OT: English [was Re: [Pan-users] Re: freeze, high CPU getting new he

From: Joe Zeff
Subject: Re: OT: English [was Re: [Pan-users] Re: freeze, high CPU getting new headers]
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2008 09:35:26 -0700

On 08/05/2008 Steven D'Aprano wrote:
[...]
> > (Oh crap, now my old teacher
> > would whack my knuckles for ending a sentence with a preposition.)

I hope you would say, "Listen up you old biddy, if ending sentences with prepositions was good enough for Chaucer, Shakespeare and Milton, to say nothing of Winston Churchill and the Queen herself, it's good enough for me."

Better, of course, would be to say, "Look, lady, in that context, it's not a preposition, it's a particle and there's nothing wrong with ending a sentence with a particle. You are right, however, that it's wrong, a sentence to end, a preposition with."