pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: freeze, high CPU getting new headers

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: freeze, high CPU getting new headers
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 21:51:27 +0000 (UTC)

walt <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on  Sat, 02 Aug 2008 16:15:51
+0000:

> I have 2.12.9 and I don't see it.  By looking at the event log I see
> that pan rethreads the display exactly every 10 seconds while fetching
> headers.  It fetches as many headers as it can in those 10 seconds and
> pauses to rethread, which for me is virtually instantaneous.
>
> One quick and dirty 'profiling' trick would be to turn off threading in
> the View::Header-pane menu and see if the problem goes away.

Good idea! =8^)  That would test whether it's the display or not, altho
of course pan is still doing the logical threading in the background,
since it does that only once.

> BTW, does it matter which pane you're viewing when fetching headers?

Hmm, this is interesting, too.  I have enough screen real estate
(now 2x 24" 1920x1200 LCDs, stacked for 1920x2400, pan getting all but
the bottom 24 px of the bottom LCD in normal config, so 1920x1176) that I
display all three panes at once, not the tabbed interface, but for those
with the tabbed interface...

Along the same lines, what about switching to another virtual desktop or
shading/minimizing pan?  That way there's no pan display updates at all
to be done.  I know it makes a difference with music visualization and
konsole output if I'm compiling, but (since the rewrite) pan has been
fast enough here I've not worried about it.