pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: freeze, high CPU getting new headers

From: David Kelly
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: freeze, high CPU getting new headers
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 23:48:25 -0500

On Aug 1, 2008, at 10:01 PM, Greg Lee wrote:

That happens to me.  I think it's a bug.  When loading a large number
of headers, about 3/4 of the way through, the GUI loses it, and I just
have to wait until the headers from that group are loaded. Pan will not respond until the headers are all loaded. I have to wait around 3 minutes, at most (not 20), but I have 3G of ram, which probably helps. It doesn't
freeze my whole system -- I can go to another window and do something
else -- it just affects Pan.

Expect Linux has similar but FreeBSD has per-process limits on memory. Default is 512MB. So unless one has a number of processes drawing 512MB having 3GB doesn't do a single application much good. However the OS will use the extra for disk caching.

When all of the headers from a group have been downloaded pan spends some time doing housekeeping at the expense of GUI updates. Guess its reconciling the list against the list stored on disk, and saving to disk. When the GUI freezes I notice about 8 MB/sec of disk activity.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, address@hidden