pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: freeze, high CPU getting new headers

From: walt
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: freeze, high CPU getting new headers
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 23:56:12 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 01 Aug 2008 16:39:03 -0700, David Shochat wrote:

> I don't know when this started happening, but it was during the 0.132
> era, so it has to be something that changed on my system. This is a
> fully-updated Ubuntu 8.04 system. I have 1Gb of memory. When getting new
> headers in a large binary group, (either as a result of entering, or
> after invoking Groups->Get Headers...), the progress indicator goes
> normally for a while (10 sec. or so) and then it stops. At this point,
> top says that pan is at 98-100% CPU and the GUI is unresponsive. That
> goes on for as long as 20 minutes, after which it (usually) gets unstuck
> by itself...

Wow, I'm immensely impressed with your patience.  I'd never let it run
past two or three minutes at the most.

I can suggest only obvious tricks such as looking at the event log and
starting pan from a command prompt using the --debug flag.

Well, there's also tcpdump or wireshark et al, but I wouldn't start with
the big guns until I've tried the above.